The HON Company was incorporated as The Home-O-Nize Company on January 6, 1944, by brothers-in-law C. Maxwell Stanley and Clement T. Hanson along with H. Wood Miller. It was founded with the intent of providing employment for those returning from duty in World War II.
The Home-O-Nize Company began in the production of kitchen cabinets; first in Davenport, Iowa, and then in the old US Button Company factory in downtown Muscatine. Following the short-lived production of kitchen cabinets, the company began manufacturing aluminum gas-bottle hoods on contract for Stampings, Inc. With the scrap left over from the hoods, they made flower-identification labels, beverage coasters and recipe card file boxes. For a brief period, The company also produced pick-up attachments for John Deere / Deere & Company combines, Iowa Corn Pickers for Associated Manufacturers Inc., and did contract work for local companies such as Red Jacket, Carver Pump, Collins Radio, G.W. Timmerman and Peter Products. In the end, it was the recipe-file boxes that paved the way for The Home-O-Nize Company’s entry into the office furniture and supply industry.
In the early 1950s, the office products division of The Home-O-Nize Company became The H-O-N Division, and, in 1967, it officially became The HON Company. Their parent company, Home-O-Nize, changed its name to HON INDUSTRIES Inc. in 1968 and changed again to its current name, HNI, in 2004.
In 1980, The HON Company moved from the HON INDUSTRIES Inc. headquarters at 414 East Third Street in Muscatine into its current headquarters at 200 Oak Street, the former home of the Huttig Manufacturing Company. The HON headquarters building was renovated in 2009.
We are proud to be a HON dealer north of Seattle with a working showroom.
Come see the newest products and test sit the newest chairs. Our showroom is located at 9121 Evergreen Way, Everett.